Coding content type as "still image" only for art works as original
manifestations and not for images of art works seems a bit extreme, like
saying of a reproduction of Magritte's *Ceci n'est pas une pipe *that "This
is not a picture, either." What is it then?

Maybe the art community should be lobbying instead for coding which would
distinguish originals from reproductions at the manifestation level. The
instructions at LC-PCC PS 27.1 for relating original to reproduced
manifestations might also apply.

Stephen

On Thu, Oct 18, 2018 at 3:06 PM Sherman Clarke <[log in to unmask]>
wrote:

> Dear Ian and others--
>
> Some of us art catalogers do not code 336 for still image if a resource is
> reproductions in support of the text, even if the illustrative content is
> fairly high. We feel that our users would expect to find art works if the
> 336 is so coded, not pictures of art works.
>
> I haven't looked at the discussion from "three days ago" and am replying
> to your message.
>
> Sherman Clarke
> independent art cataloger
> Alfred, NY
>
> On Thu, Oct 18, 2018 at 11:38 AM, Ian Fairclough <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
>
>> Dear PCCLIST readers,
>>

>> Picking up on the discussion from three days ago: I have come across
>> situations where 336 still image $b sti $2 rdacontent is not to be found
>> in master records for books which appear to have been batch-processed to
>> add 33X fields for print materials, when there is indeed considerable
>> illustrative material. Some are art books that are chiefly illustrations.
>>

>> A word to supervisors: if you have copy catalogers who accept such
>> records without modification, they might be advised of the need to examine
>> records to see if there’s a need to add this field.  Someone might even do
>> the world a favor and add the field to the master record!
>>

>> Sincerely - Ian
>>

>> Ian Fairclough
>>
>> Cataloging and Metadata Services Librarian
>>
>> George Mason University
>>
>> 703-993-2938

Stephen Hearn, Metadata Strategist
University of Minnesota