Kristin,

Suzie Johnson looks like a change in preferred name rather than a pseudonym.  Since there is no existing authority record, and this is the most recent of her works, I would create the 100 based on the item in hand.  I would base the 100 on Johnson, Suzie, and have a 400 based on Johnson, Susan Diane.  It would also be useful to edit the OCLC master records for the other titles by the author, and control the headings to the new NAR.

The case of Curtis, Melinda is a bit awkard.  Her bio definitely indicates a deliberate use of two names to distinguish different sets of books.  But both sets of books are romance novels, and Mel is clearly a variant of Melinda.  She wants people to know that the same person wrote them.  I have difficulty considering Mel to be a pseudonym for Melinda.  The LC/PCC FAQ on pseudonyms (http://www.loc.gov/catdir/cpso/pseud.pdf), has this to say:

Q7.  What about variants of the real name used concurrently by authors?

A7. If an author uses variants of their real name concurrently (as opposed to abandoning one real name in favor of another) and this usage can be ascribed to the fact that works written under one name are in different subject areas from works written under other name(s), treat the case in the same way as pseudonyms and follow the response in A1 in this FAQ for the details of using multiple headings.  Note: apply this interpretation only in retrospect, after information received from publications, etc., has begun to provide the necessary evidence and this evidence is clear or in cases where the author has declared that intent.  See Bookmark Example 7

I don’t think “medium” versus “hot” romance novels qualify as different subject areas.  So I would treat these as variant forms of name.  Pick one as the basis for 100, and have the other as the basis for a 400.  You could include information from the biographical web page in a 670 to explain the usage of the variant names.  I would be interested to see whether other people agree or disagree on whether these are different subject areas within the meaning of the FAQ.  Since I don’t read romance novels, I would not mind clarification from others.

The reminder is probably unnecessary, but do remember to follow DCM Z1 Section 008/32 for instructions on splitting an undifferentiated NAR.

                                                                                Steve McDonald