Thanks, Jos, that is great news!

Yes, I am aware of this with DATs and PCM (F1/601) tapes. I think most
DAT machines do de-emphasis properly to their digital output, but I
can't guarantee it, of course. It appears that the PCM-601 does NOT
handle de-emphasis on its digital output, ever.

I think in this thread, it was mentioned that dBPowerAmp does not follow
the pre-emphasis flag. Do any of the other rippers, such as Exact Audio
Copy follow this flag properly?

In fact, over the next couple of years, I'm going to reorganize and
expand my tape restoration reference and the AESHC is interested in
having it at aes.org/aeshc/xxx.

Also, striking a blow for other formerly hardware-only solutions, a
colleague of mine and I are several months away from a GUI-driven noise
reduction decoder system, called the DHNRDS...www.dhnrds.com. The good
news is that the DA decoder module (with command line interface) is
being finalized now and is just about ready for beta testing--we had
some good input from various pre-beta testers.

Thank you for introducing me to compatibility mode, though, in the end,
it looks as if I'll need to keep my XP machine working as long as I have
my old Primera X1 (and clone) on-CD/DVD printers. I tried loading using
the compatibility tools, but still no dice--it was a driver rather than
app issue.

Interestingly, I did find vDOS https://www.vdos.info/ which allows me to
run Jay McKnight's little compiled FORTH Programs for translating among
EQ standards and figuring head resonances. Compatibility mode also looks
like it might work with Sony Sonic Stage which is needed to read the USB
MiniDisc recorder.

Cheers,

Richard