One of our catalogers found that in our local catalog the heading Leslie Louis A, 1900- had been changed to Leslie Louis A, 1900-1983.  However, the authority record in OCLC does not have a closed date, nor any notice about his death, and the same seems to be true in OCLC, VIAF, and WorldCat Identities.  I could not find him in the Social Security Death Index (although I am not a frequent user of that tool and may have missed him).  The date of death we have in our catalog seems to be about right, but I simply cannot verify it.  I suppose I should just assume that one of our librarians found some piece of information that justified this, but we don't have any information locally to indicate that.

What should I do?

Michael S. Borries
Cataloger
City University of New York, Central Office
Office of Library Services
151 East 25th Street, 5th Floor
New York, NY  10010