What we need is for systems to start providing search capabilities for
authority data, not just as it occurs in bib records, as an AAP, but as it
appears in authority records, including variant terms, facet information,
etc. If I search now on "central banks" in id.loc.gov's database of LCSH
authorities, I get a result set of brief records, not a browse list of AAPs
and VAPs. The brief records include the AAP as a main term, but also
include VAPs as part of each authority's brief display, and could include
other selected metadata elements from the full record. In the facet list
there are options to limit the search by entity type, by source of term,
etc. In this instance, authority data about an entity is treated in manner
comparable to bib data about a resource for searching and navigation. So, a
user's terms can lead in a search environment to discovery of the authority
for the desired entity, which in turn could lead to accessing bib resources
associated wtih that entity, all without recourse to a browse index.

I'm not claiming that id.loc.gov is a model for this sort of functionality,
but it offers a better illustration of the way we need to frame our
questions and propose new solutions that is more forward-looking than an
approach which focuses on refining browse indexing. I love browse indexing
and see lots of ongoing value in maintaining it. But given the current
state and likely future of discovery, our focus should be on how to make
authorities better targets and performers in environments based on search,
not browse.

Stephen

Stephen

--