What we need is for systems to start providing search capabilities for authority data, not just as it occurs in bib records, as an AAP, but as it appears in authority records, including variant terms, facet information, etc. If I search now on "central banks" in id.loc.gov's database of LCSH authorities, I get a result set of brief records, not a browse list of AAPs and VAPs. The brief records include the AAP as a main term, but also include VAPs as part of each authority's brief display, and could include other selected metadata elements from the full record. In the facet list there are options to limit the search by entity type, by source of term, etc. In this instance, authority data about an entity is treated in manner comparable to bib data about a resource for searching and navigation. So, a user's terms can lead in a search environment to discovery of the authority for the desired entity, which in turn could lead to accessing bib resources associated wtih that entity, all without recourse to a browse index.

I'm not claiming that id.loc.gov is a model for this sort of functionality, but it offers a better illustration of the way we need to frame our questions and propose new solutions that is more forward-looking than an approach which focuses on refining browse indexing. I love browse indexing and see lots of ongoing value in maintaining it. But given the current state and likely future of discovery, our focus should be on how to make authorities better targets and performers in environments based on search, not browse.

Stephen

Stephen