Looking closely at the MARC specs, I notice that the definition of $s "Start period (NR)" seems somewhat at odds with the Field definition and scope:

"For a corporate body: a date or range of dates on which a conference, etc., is held"

The implication being you can record "a date" or "dates". So maybe I was just given bad advice?

Another thought: for conferences, perhaps we should use $q "establishment date" instead, and $r "termination date" when needed for multi-day conferences. (Assuming those subfields ever find their way into OCLC's validation tables.)

From: Program for Cooperative Cataloging [[log in to unmask]] on behalf of Adam L Schiff [[log in to unmask]]
Sent: Thursday, December 27, 2018 3:48 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: [PCCLIST] 046 $s for single dates of activity

For conferences that seems obvious, because the start date and termination date are the same.  Period of activity is more nebulous.  Does a single date in $s imply the start of a period with an unknown end, or does it mean the activity was only during that one year?  I think it could be either, so it is analogous to $k.

The wording of the definitions of $s and $t can always be tweaked.  PCC could make a fast track revision proposal for this.

Adam Schiff
University of Washington Libraries