Ben-If there is mottling - i.e. visual imperfections from the laminated
process, it might introduce vertical noise which a stereo cartridge would
pick up - makes an under-water sounding distortion. By dubbing with a stereo
cartridge, better results would be achieved by dubbing at 33 1/3. This would
give the tone-arm time to move up and down with the vertical motion -
reducing the "underwater" effect.
If the mottling is pronounced, then a true mono cartridge such as VR-II
would be a better choice.

As far as stylus size goes, almost all Columbias use a 3 mil - I don't
believe a 2.5 would be used that early. I expect the records would have been
issued in the mid to late twenties - which might mean that the speed will be
non-standard . It seems to be the third set by the Lener Quartet so earlier
rather than later. American Columbia  recordings are usually 75 RPM from
around 1925  to mid 1928. Of course , when you tune the speed to C Major,
that will be obvious.

                               Hope this is some help - Mickey Clark

Mickey Clark
710 Westminster Avenue West