From: Association for Recorded Sound Discussion List [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Brewster Kahle
Sent: 23 January 2019 18:07
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: [ARSCLIST] help us select A/D and phono preamp for an upcoming LP project?

ARSCers,

Building on the Great 78 Project <https://great78.archive.org>, the Internet Archive <https://archive.org/details/archive.org> is working towards a new project to digitize LPs. Dubbed “Lost Vinyl”, the project seeks to preserve LPs focusing on those that never made it to the digital world.

We are seeking community feedback to help us find the best sounding recording chain.

In this item ( https://archive.org/details/lostvinylsamples ) you will find 5 sets of LP transfers of 5 very different musical styles done with
4 combinations of phono-preamp and analog to digital converter. The components cost anywhere from a few hundred dollars to several thousand dollars. The demo files were prepared by the technical engineering staff at George Blood LP <https://www.georgeblood.com>. Performance specifications were verified (all RIAA preamps are within 2dB of each other at any frequency, most within 0.1 or 0.5 dB), levels were matched at each stage, and all are recorded at 96/24. The files have been renamed in different orders to obscure their provenance. Only one person has the key to which file was made with which combination of hardware.

The hardware used includes:
RDL (Radio Design Labs) EZ-PH1 phono preamp TimeStep phono preamp Focusrite Scarlette A/D covertor Prism Lyra A/D convertor

The combinations are (in no particular order):
RDL into Lyra
RDL into Scarlette
TimeStep into Lyra
Lyra standalone (using instrument input terminated by 47 kOhms resistor with RIAA EQ preset)

Please add your comments in the reviews of the item containing the samples https://archive.org/details/lostvinylsamples.
To reiterate-- the samples are made with different equipment and are not consistent from one work to the next.

Thank you for helping!   If you would to participate in other ways, please let us know.

https://archive.org/details/lostvinylsamples

-brewster