Hi Steve,

Even the best digital restoration software generates artifacts so, I use
both when applying a digital process just to make sure that I'm not
being too aggressive with the application.  My advice would be to use
your best judgment. More often than not, you have to walk the fine line
between customer expectations and what is actually possible before the
life gets sucked out of the material.

FWIW,

A few years ago, Stanford University did a study that involved incoming
freshmen. The new students were presented with the same audio file. The
data rates ranged from very high fidelity to an average MP3. The
volunteers overwhelmingly preferred the MP3. When asked why, the most
common reply was: "That's what I'm used to so, it sounds the most normal."

Cheers,

Corey

Corey Bailey Audio Engineering
www.baileyzone.net