It╣s a work song (you can hear hoeing - I think - somewhat off
microphone), rather than a gospel song, led by John Brown. The file card
for band 2720-A-1 lists the singers with him as Lonnie Thomas, Willie
Howard, Paul Perkins, Allen Reid, Joe Brown, Dawson Johnson, and James
Richardson. Some or all of them are probably on this recording.

The tune is very similar to the one Robert Johnson used in îLast Fair Deal
Gone Down╣, which also contains elements of complaint/protest, notably the
line îMy captain╣s so mean on me.╣ At 2╣17▓, the Florida convicts sing îIf
you cry about a nickel, you╣ll die about a dime,' which is in the Johnson
song.

Can you post what you and the class have transcribed, please? I don╣t have
time to make a transcription from scratch, but may be able to fill in gaps.

Chris Smith

On 11/02/2019 16:25, "Association for Recorded Sound Discussion List on
behalf of David Katznelson" <[log in to unmask] on behalf of