From: Patent Tactics, George Brock-Nannestad

Hello,

a most interesting thread, thank you Steven for initiating it!

I would not see any problem with labeling a transfer "optimized for headphone listening" or the like.

We are deeply into ethics, here. Any manipulation to the sound from a historical source is permissible and ethical, provided nobody claims to present the truth, backed up by the authority of someone who is considered an authority on early recordings.

Many academic works -- phD theses -- use early recordings as sources to evaluate the development of performance practices. Most take the shortcut to use commercial transfers of the originals without little reflection or merely a statement that the transfers are used because the phD student trusts the transfer engineer. I actively work against this trend. The student should have been involved in the actual transfer used. It is much more work, but academically sound. And it borders on idiocy on the part of the committee overseeing the thesis to blithely accept commercial transfers when they would reject the use of a museum postcard of a Mozart manuscript as a source for analysis. The trust in the transparency of a recording seems to be infinite!

Best wishes,

George

P.S. In many cases the phD students I mention are singers themselves. Very few transfer engineers are singers.
G.