Hi Everyone -

Please join us for the next in our regular monthly series of free
Department of the Interior Library Park Ranger Speaker Series lectures,
entitled "The Martin Luther King, Jr. Memorial" on Tuesday, February 19th
from 1:00 - 1:45 pm in the Stewart Lee Udall Department of the Interior
Building's Rachel Carson Room.

Surveying the landscape of the National Mall and Memorial Parks, one cannot
help but be moved by the majesty and solemnity of the great monuments and
memorials. Every year, millions visit them, learning their qualities of
symbolism which tell powerful stories of individuals and groups who
contributed to the building of our great nation. With its dedication on
August 28, 2011, the memorial dedicated to civil rights leader Martin
Luther King, Jr., secured a unique niche in that landscape. Astute planning
assured a wealth of symbolic connections of this memorial to our nation’s
history, and the deeds which cemented Dr. King as a hero to the world.
Oddly, each monument and memorial was completed amid controversy, and Dr.
King’s memorial was no exception. From conception to construction, the
story of the Martin Luther King, Jr. Memorial is an inspiring one which
complements the powerful words etched in its granite.

Please join Park Ranger Brad Berger as he takes a look at the Martin Luther
King, Jr. Memorial. Ranger Berger will discuss the stories and
controversies that surrounded the development of the memorial as well as
provide insight on the significance of the man to whom this memorial is
dedicated, Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.

To register for this program, please go to the following link:

https://docs.google.com/a/nbc.gov/spreadsheet/viewform?formkey=dGgtcWo5SGpfN3VNNVFobVNSTThyaXc6MQ#gid=0

Please also note that we will be offering WebEx webinar access for this
program.  If you are interested in remote live access to this program,
please note it on the online registration form.

If the registration link above does not work at your location, you may also
register using the Library's online Contact Form at
https://www.doi.gov/library/interior-library-contact-form.  Please list the
title of the program on the subject line and let us know if you wish to
receive webinar access information.

You may contact the Library by phone at (202) 208-5815 or by e-mail at
[log in to unmask] for more information about this program and/or
directions.   For more information about DOI Library resources and
services, please visit the DOI Library's website, located at http://www.doi
.gov/library.

We hope you can join us in person or virtually on February 19th!

George

George Franchois
Director - U.S. Dept. of the Interior Library
Office of the Secretary - Office of Facilities and Administrative Services
(OFAS)
1849 C Street, NW, Room 1151, MS 1151
Washington, DC 20240
E-Mail: [log in to unmask]