From: Program for Cooperative Cataloging [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Robert Maxwell
Sent: Thursday, 28 February, 2019 14:39
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: [PCCLIST] Establishing person with nickname

No variant access point is required, it totally depends on if the cataloger thinks someone will attempt to search using that form. So this is a matter of cataloger judgment, we can’t say you “must” make any particular variant access point. I personally wouldn’t make variants from something like “Barker, Kate ‘Ma’” unless I was quite convinced that somebody might attempt such a search, which I’m dubious about. And I am truly dubious that such forms should be chosen as the preferred name.

Bob

Robert L. Maxwell
6728 Harold B. Lee Library
Brigham Young University