Hi Pete,

It was imprecise, but did more good than harm in that we were able to populate our genre index adequately.

Also, the genre terms are now in the keyword indexes while they weren’t in the past.

I haven’t done an assessment since I know we are moving to a new system and we didn’t get any complaints from users. But it is something we would fix now if there was time.

We loaded the genre authority records into our catalogue. The 655 0 would not match on lcgft.

We also didn’t want the 655 4 to display or index and had the gsafd terms checked against lcgft to convert those to lcgft.

Unfortunately, incoming records aren’t always great!

For the example below, our catalogue shows “Electronic books” as a genre heading only once due to the second indicator 7, but Electronic books is not lcgft.

655                        4              Electronic books

655                        0              Electronic books

655                        7              Electronic books.|2lcgft

Karen