From: Program for Cooperative Cataloging [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Ehlert, Mark K.
Sent: Thursday, February 28, 2019 11:18
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: [PCCLIST] Establishing person with nickname

NACO folks:

A question comes to mind as I establish for the first time a personal name with a nickname attached: Charles "Buckey" Grimm.  Looking through the NAF, I find this kind of nickname treated as an alternative first name rather than as a conjured up middle name.  It's rare I come across a 100 or 400 reading Smith, John "Nickname".  RDA, the PSs, and the NACO training materials don't address this matter.

Do I follow the precedent set in the NAF as I build out the 100s and 400s in Grimm's authority record?

--
Mark K. Ehlert                 Alma: NA02
Cataloging and Metadata        Primo: MT NA01

Verona," Act I, Scene iii

[University of St. Thomas : All for the Common Good]<https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__www.stthomas.edu_e&d=DwMFAg&c=WO-RGvefibhHBZq3fL85hQ&r=O9-UIVab7e9YxpBphmOmeEQruoCpRWXNPKDBg9tfb88&m=UTXSuLuZwoU0-RSvLdpppIzouDwD5d2VH-NQ0F5oUPg&s=5BiyAEtvxFP_KZ4rvpt7ZhmMWsiNVQ9PHpVKNxzSSfc&e=>