Hello Shai,

All of the CD-Rs that I used paper labels on are going or have gone bad. It would appear that the adhesive contains a solvent that eats through the plastic and damages the reflective layer. Once they're gone, I have found no way to retrieve them. I'm quite sure that this is also true for DVD-Rs. I wish I could report otherwise.

Fortunately, anything I have on discs with paper labels is a copy and not an original, so nothing is lost. At least one company issuing their material on CD-Rs - the Canadian label Immortal Performances - still uses paper labels. I back up anything I get from them onto inkjet-printable discs. In fact, I back up all commercial CD-Rs, no matter what kind of labeling they have.

Sorry I can't be more positive. The moral of the story is that anything you record digitally, no matter how it's recorded or stored, should be backed up.

Gary

Gary Galo
Audio Engineer Emeritus
The Crane School of Music
SUNY at Potsdam, NY 13676

Arnold Schoenberg

Igor Markevitch

"If you design an audio system based on the premise that nothing is audible,
on that system nothing will be audible."
G. Galo