I had several discs, both CD and DVD with "selfstick" paper labels which after a short time rendered the discs unreadable.  I found that completely removing the paper label and the underlying adhesive allowed my players to read the discs.  This may be a time consuming process, I did use water to "dissolve" the paper layer and then a solvent that would attack the adhesive but not damage the underlying polycarbonate top layer of the disc.  I believe it is something about the properties of the adhesive which confuses the laser reading the disc.  But I have not been able to do any scientific research to prove that is the case.  I just know that getting ALL of the label off the disc top surface allowed me to play the disc again.  There are other printable non-paper labels that were sold by some labelling product companies, but I have no personal experience with them either in removal or in experiencing reading issues with those discs.   Has anyone run into issues dealing with them?