 On the subject of the Hollywood Bowl. Famous Musicians at Hollywood Bowl 1930s - Part 1. I got a copy of a DVD of these films from Kevin Mostyn, who got them from Terry King. I can't remember what library was the ultimate source. I passed along copies of my DVDs to Lani Spahr who uploaded them.
As to the question about orchestras which did broadcast, that would be a wonderful topic for a book which I would love to read. Kevin Mostyn provides detailed information on the Boston Symphony broadcasts in the booklet for the BSO boxed set of broadcasts. Many of you probably know of Robert Woods from his Telarc days. The last time I spoke with Bob, which was about a year ago, he was working on broadcasts of the Atlanta Symphony. I have a vague recollection that his project with the Cleveland Orchestra ran out of money...however, not before Bob discovered a rehearsal recording of Bartók and Rodzinski doing a chunk of  Bartók's Second Piano Concerto. And, on the subject of Bartók, at the end of the above videos you can see and hear the composer playing his Allegro Barbaro. I can't tell for sure if the sound was recorded at the time of the video, but it appears to be quite authentic. For a book about the subject of history of broadcasts, it would be wonderful to know what survives...that would be true also for European radio. Some of their archives have listings online, but it would be wonderful to have...or if anyone knows...URLs for their catalogs.
Karl

|  |  |

|  |
Famous Musicians at Hollywood Bowl 1930s - Part 1

HOLLYWOOD BOWL 1930s Famous Musicians filmed by violist Philip Kahgan 00:59 Queena Mario 01:21 Eugene Goossens 0...