As you may be aware, tracking LPs at to0 light a stylus pressure can cause a stylus to oscillate and tear up groove walls, causing playback distortion forever more, even though the disc looks pristine to the naked eye.  I can only speculate that this can occur on shellac discs as well.

Comments?

Bob