I agree in full Bob.  One of my mantras, especially with a "newbie" who's concerned with the "proper" setup of his/her newly acquired Crosely-esque "vinyl spinner".  (Nudge, nudge!)  As to whether it's an issue in this case is still up in the air.

:-)

Martin

-----Original Message-----
From: Association for Recorded Sound Discussion List <[log in to unmask]> On Behalf Of Robert Cham
Sent: Thursday, March 28, 2019 7:05 AM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: [ARSCLIST] Can't find a stylus that doesn't distort

As you may be aware, tracking LPs at to0 light a stylus pressure can cause a stylus to oscillate and tear up groove walls, causing playback distortion forever more, even though the disc looks pristine to the naked eye.  I can only speculate that this can occur on shellac discs as well.

Comments?

Bob