In case it was being considered by anyone... do not attempt to remove
labels stuck on CD/DVD media by pulling on them. A data layer is directly
below the label and can easily be pulled off in such attempts. If there is
concern about label stability...copy the media to new media. IIRC, I have
seen this layer separation happen with a Post-It sticky pad note on an
(unimportant) CD-R. I think the note caught the edge of the media (which
may be a weak spot).

To your question:

The Linux tool ddrescue may help. It can also be run under Cygwin on
Windows.

This will create a sector by sector copy with blanks wherever the drive
cannot read the data. The log file generated will tell you where the read
failures occurred.

In addition, you can swap drives or even computers (instead of swapping
drives), and then use ddrescue with the previously saved data and log files
to attempt to backfill previously unread sectors.

This technique can also let you piece together two originally identical
copies of media that are both now damaged (but in different areas).

Another tool to try is called dvdisaster.

Other things to keep in mind: slowing the drive spin speed may help. Older
drives may help. Different drive brands or models may help. I have seen
software tools that can limit drive spin speed. I believe some of those
tools came with Nero Burning ROM (for Windows) software versions 5 or 6. I
haven't looked recently. Look up Nero DriveSpeed.

Lastly, video repair tools meant for use with damaged MPEG2 video may be
able to make useful sense out of the rescued content. One such tool is
VideoRedo's Quickstreamfix feature. Another is called mpeg2repair. These
two examples require Windows.

(IMO, an ideal video repair solution will take into account the available
undamaged spatial and temporal frame data when reconstructing lost or
damaged data, especially for. Similar things have been used for noise
reduction, deinterlacing, and logo removal using Avisynth filters, and in
research for removing foreground obstructions like poles in a panning video
sequence.)

Note: You may also need to find a VOB file repair tool, and a tool to
convert the VOB to another format if your video repair tools can't handle
VOBs directly.

Note 2: different playback software may have different results. VLC tends
to be tolerant of a lot of imperfections. You may also be able to piece
together recordings of the results of different playback software, if they
run into issues in different places.

Haudy Kazemi