From: Bibliographic Framework Transition Initiative Forum <[log in to unmask]> on behalf of "Hakala, Juha E" <[log in to unmask]>
Date: Monday, March 4, 2019 at 4:39 AM
To: "[log in to unmask]" <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: Re: [BIBFRAME] When a bf:Identifier is a URI

Hello,

no, the URIs currently used in the ISSN database have been finalized and the way they have been constructed makes it possible that they will be “cool” for quite a while. But in addition to these cool URIs it will be possible to use urn:issn’s (one per each issn) which can be as persistent as ISSNs themselves, unlike technology dependent cool URIs.

As regards URIs which are not based on persistent identifiers such as URNs or DOIs, it can be difficult to find out if they are cool or not. And even if a URI of e.g. a database record is intended to function as a permalink, it may be both vendor- and application specific, which implies relatively short life span. Such URIs should not be treated as canonical identifiers in cataloguing. And when libraries are implementing new applications, they should make sure that those deep link URIs which should be cool can persist even after applications change.

Best,

Juha