From: Limited to participants in Jakarta CAP program (CAPSEA) <[log in to unmask]> On Behalf Of Judith A N Henchy
Sent: Thursday, March 14, 2019 1:06 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: Cataloging capabilities at our institutions

Folks,  I regret that I will miss Carol’s presentation at AAS, but I would love to hear what people think about our current and future cataloging capacities.

With retirements in mind, we are trying to come up with some strategies for filling current and future cataloging positions at UW.  As an alternative to the less-than-perfect solutions of team cataloging with students, or outsourcing, we’re looking at ways that we might “grow” more cataloguers.

With an as-yet undefined idea of creating a “pipeline” for training new catalogers for SEA languages, we are thinking about establishing some sort of fellowship opportunity to bring someone in who would be trained in cataloging while taking a joint MLIS/International Studies MA here on campus.  I wonder if other institutions have been thinking about this problem, and if would be worthwhile to have a conversation about what languages we need to target as priorities nationally, and if there would be a cooperative model through which we could address those priorities?

I know this sounds like a very old question, but I’d appreciate thoughts from anyone else who is thinking about this problem currently.

Thanks

Judith

Judith Henchy, Ph.D., MLIS

Head, Southeast Asia Section

Special Assistant to the Dean of University Libraries for International Programs

University of Washington Libraries

Affiliate Faculty, Jackson School of International Studies