I do think if a person is still alive it's a good idea to write to him/her. Of course the person might refuse to give you a date of birth, and then Sinologist might be the best you can do.

Ted Gemberling
UAB Lister Hill Library

From: Program for Cooperative Cataloging <[log in to unmask]> On Behalf Of Sharon Domier
Sent: Tuesday, March 26, 2019 12:19 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: [PCCLIST] PhD candidate = scholar?

Yang, please rethink this. Just write to the person and ask for a year of birth (or take it from their MA thesis).  There are already so many errors for Chinese names that adding (Sinologist) would only make things worse and people will assume that they are all sinologists, even though many are linguists or Chinese language pedagogists.

Sharon