Dear collective wisdom,

Just wanted some guidelines on creating NARs for entities whose names consist entirely out of symbols or punctuation marks. I know records like these exist in the NAF, even though they are not searchable in OCLC or id.loc.gov: the band !!! (no2005023261) was the only one I could think of off the top of my head besides Prince, of course, but there is no 400 for his love symbol #2.

In my case, I have a 19th century Irish poet who signed his works as *** . Should I (or better yet: can I) have *** as the main entry? Should I do something like [three asterisks] or [three stars] instead? Would it be necessary to qualify the preferred name by $c (Poet) ?

Would love some input on this.

Thanks,

__

Luiza Wainer