A few pointers.
The Revox was a mock-up and was never produced. The Thorens gets some of
its parts from another manufacturer called Ballfinger.  A ridiculously
overpriced pile of crap designed and sold to audio fools. The PB only unit
is 11k euros.
Thorens said only 100 units will be made so they will find 100
Idiots dumb enough to buy it.
I’ll keep my atr100. Thank you

On Thu, 11 Apr 2019 at 22:53 Tim Gillett <[log in to unmask]>
wrote:

> This appears to be an audiophile tape machine designed  for listening to
> newly manufactured tape dubs of commercial releases.  A US company called
> The Tape Project has been offering such tapes for some years. Revox
> offered
> a probably comparable playback only machine in 2017 and I think was
> planning to make pre recorded tapes to go with them.  I've occasionally
> been
> asked to repair open reel tape machines for the purpose of listening to
> these very expensive pre recorded tapes. A tape I listened to seemed to
> have
> been competently dubbed. It would need to be for the price.
>
> The Thorens TM 1600 belt driven capstan motor suggests a design
> compromise.
> Good direct drive capstan motor machines (electronically controlled) have
> been around since the late 1950's when Nagra, then Studer and Revox,
> Teac/Tascam, Sony, Akai etc put out their own direct drive capstan models.
> Direct drive motors and their electronic controls were very expensive to
> make back then but these days are so much cheaper to manufacture. I notice
> one audiophile review of ther Thorens (StereoNET UK) curiously omitted the
> reference to the belt drive.
>
> Tim Gillett
>
> Perth,
> Western Australia.

בברכה,
שי דרורי. 0544-470-420
מומחה לשימור ודיגיטציה של נגטיבים אודיו וידאו ופילם 8-35ממ
Cheers
Shai Drori
Expert digitization services for Audio Video
3K scanning for film 8mm-35mm
Timeless Recordings Music Label
www.audiovideofilm.com
Tripadvisor level 6 contributor, level 15 restaurant expert