- The University of Hawai'i at Mānoa Library is seeking a
metadata librarian to join its Cataloging Department. The
successful candidate for this tenure-track faculty position will
be responsible for providing leadership in all aspects of
metadata creation and management for the library's digital
collections. Review of applications will begin on May 15 and
will continue until the position is filled.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Under the general direction of the chair of the Cataloging
Department, the incumbent will provide leadership for
metadata creation and remediation in the library's digital
- Implements, assesses, and refines metadata workflows,
policies, and procedures for the library's digital
collections, including special collections.
- Writes, revises and implements metadata procedures for the
- Captures and creates unique metadata and authority records
for digital materials.
- Maintains authority control of records to ensure
- Evaluates, transforms, and remediates metadata to support
efforts to consolidate existing metadata from a variety of
- Provides support for digital projects to ensure effective
integration of metadata with traditional library catalog
- Leads project teams composed of IT personnel, archivists,
and subject specialists, to ensure that metadata policies
and procedures are consistent with national standards.
- Provides training and support for ongoing creation of
metadata and compliance with standards.
- Maintains current knowledge of the development of national
and international standards for metadata and linked data.
- Librarians have faculty status and must meet requirements
for tenure and promotion, including professional
development, research, and service.
- ALA-accredited MLIS or equivalent.
- Familiarity with metadata standards, especially Dublin
- Familiarity with creating, editing and transforming
- Familiarity with planning and implementing metadata schema
for digital collections.
- Familiarity with digital library management systems or
digital asset management systems.
- Knowledge of digital library processes and workflows.
- Familiarity with scripting languages and/or tools for data
manipulation (e.g., OpenRefine, Python, XSLT).
- Understanding of linked data principles and standards.
- Excellent organizational and project management skills.
- Effective oral and written communication skills.
- Experience in team leadership.
- Ability to work effectively, independently and
collaboratively with faculty and with administrative,
professional, and support staff in a diverse and dynamic
- For more details and information on applying for this
position, please visit
University of Hawaii at Manoa Library
2550 McCarthy Mall, Honolulu, HI 96822
e-mail: [log in to unmask]