Without looking, I’m sure one of the canonical 667 examples has been “Change heading if name [so-and-so] continues to be used” (I think it is, or was, under LC practice in Z1). Which seems to be the kind of note we are talking about. Z1 also currently has “Reinvestigate before using again”.

I don’t recollect any discouragement of helpful notes like this. We’ve also created notes to explain that an author does not wish his date of birth to be revealed, or added to a heading.

Oddly, the old NACO Participants’ Manual (3rd ed.) describes the use of “Not the same as” and “Cannot identify with” notes as “A past practice that should be used sparingly, if at all” (p. 64), whereas I think those are the paradigm cases that have been used most of all. Anything that will help a cataloguer and save future work would seem to be useful.

Regards

Richard

Richard Moore

Authority Control Team Manager