From: Program for Cooperative Cataloging [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Kathie Coblentz
Sent: Wednesday, April 10, 2019 3:44 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Juan de la Cosa and Christopher Columbus

Can anyone explain why these two historical figures are linked by means of a 500 "see also from" on the NAR of Juan de la Cosa (lccn no 91003367)?

Juan de la Cosa was the owner and captain of the Santa MarĂ­a and was with Columbus on at least his first two voyages, so that is the connection. There is no relationship designator. The only one I can see in Appendix K.2.1 that might be applicable is "colleague," or possibly the subordinated "co-worker," but neither seems really appropriate for this particular relationship.

But why is the reference even there? (It is the only "see also from" for Columbus.) It was added to Cosa's NAR in 2015, after the record had already been RDA-ified.

Should we connect all historical figures who are linked with others by means of 500s? Do Joe Tinker, Johnny Evers and Frank Chance need this treatment on their NARs to connect them in the NAF, as well as in song and story? (They could go down as "co-workers," I guess.)

Kathie Coblentz
Rare Materials Cataloger
Special Collections/Special Formats Processing The New York Public Library Stephen A. Schwarzman Building
476 Fifth Avenue, Rm. 313, New York, NY 10018 [log in to unmask]

My opinions, not NYPL's