Dear All,

This string has brought to mind a dear departed cataloger here.

Ralph Papakhian (many of the music catalogers on the list will recognize the name) talked of Cataloger Envy among so many of our non-cataloger library colleagues. What I believe he meant by that refers to the fact that catalogers have a rather large and definable body of specialized expertise – that takes years to master.  Many non-catalogers don’t have that in their work.  And most non-catalogers cannot understand our work-- or even our work product, until software massages it for the online catalog.

So they feel excluded, they’re only able to stand ‘outside’ and marvel ……… or scoff, if they’re unwilling to marvel.

Meanwhile, catalogers carry on, building the information edifice!

Carl

Carl Horne

Slavic and Central Eurasian Cataloger

& NACO/SACO Liaison