Hello,

This is a response to Rich Murray’s original email from Thursday, April 25th, about LC records with the 500 note “Minimal Level Cataloging Plus $5 DLC.”

When enhancing a DLC record with the 500 note ““Minimal Level Cataloging Plus $5 DLC”, please feel free to delete this field and make any other appropriate edits. It will not cause any problem for LC if a field with this value is removed from a record in OCLC. As many of you have probably seen, LC uses the 500 field with “$5 DLC” for other notes that are consistent with MARC documentation and OCLC guidelines like “LC has copy no. 5, signed by the author. $5 DLC” or “LC copy has bookplate of C.W. Dyson Perrins. $5 DLC.” For bibliographic records such as these, please follow OCLC guidelines along with your own institution’s policies about copy-specific notes.

Until this morning, I was unaware of these notes appearing in records for recently cataloged materials. I have made some inquiries and now can provide some additional information about these records. There is no special meaning to be found in the 500 $5 DLC note. These are minimal-level cataloging records done by a contractor.  Records with this note began being distributed by LC in 2015 and are being currently. They should be encoding level 7 with an 050 beginning with “MLC.” They will probably contain one LSCH heading. These records should only be for single-part monographs.

I am sorry for the confusion and additional work this note has caused. We distribute our bibliographic records in the hope that other libraries will be able to use them and save time. I will investigate if it is possible for us to discontinue using the 500 field for this particular phrase. However, that may not be feasible right now.

Kate

Kate James

Policy and Standards Division

Library of Congress