As a recent MLS graduate who is now a professional cataloger, I just want to chime in and say I hardly learned about cataloging in library school. I remember after we discussed MARC in introduction to information organization I cried because I was so confused (the professor was not a cataloger). The actual cataloging classes were rarely offered, and weren’t offered during my attendance. I remember making a MARC record for an archival collection—the rest of the class found it a pointless activity in something they’ll “never use”.

I remember on a couple occasions my professors referring to catalogers dismissively, like catalogers don’t form the backbone of bibliographic access.

What I’m trying to say is that the lack of incoming catalogers starts at the base of library science education. It is not well-explained, either in how it actually works (MARC, RDA, AACR2, etc) or why it’s so very important. Catalogers are, for some reason, painted as crazy outliers by others in the library profession. It is both annoying and distressing.