Absolutely no surprise Elizabeth that that was the gist of cataloging education at your institution, I believe that the Univ. of Washington remains one of maybe two or three library schools that still offer true cataloging courses beyond the broad, generic "information organization" class that everyone has to take. And even so, there is little time to actually learn descriptive practices, classification, subject analysis and application of subject and/or genre headings, etc. in a classroom setting. I am fortunate to get the depth of experience that I did and yet it wasn't even close to "real life" when I landed my first cataloging position at the Univ. of Georgia. I encourage anyone coming into the cataloging profession to learn who the experienced catalogers are, near and far, and get connected. Beyond ALA and SLA organizations like the Online Audiovisual Catalogers Inc. are so valuable. Learn your skillset and then in time turn and help other new catalogers joining the ranks. Ignore the naysayers and don't despair because you will find members of the cataloging profession by and large willing to share and teach and mentor.

Paige

From: Program for Cooperative Cataloging <[log in to unmask]> on behalf of Elizabeth Jarcy <[log in to unmask]>
Sent: Tuesday, April 16, 2019 4:02 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: [PCCLIST] Modified vendor records

As a recent MLS graduate who is now a professional cataloger, I just want to chime in and say I hardly learned about cataloging in library school. I remember after we discussed MARC in introduction to information organization I cried because I was so confused (the professor was not a cataloger). The actual cataloging classes were rarely offered, and weren’t offered during my attendance. I remember making a MARC record for an archival collection—the rest of the class found it a pointless activity in something they’ll “never use”.

I remember on a couple occasions my professors referring to catalogers dismissively, like catalogers don’t form the backbone of bibliographic access.

What I’m trying to say is that the lack of incoming catalogers starts at the base of library science education. It is not well-explained, either in how it actually works (MARC, RDA, AACR2, etc) or why it’s so very important. Catalogers are, for some reason, painted as crazy outliers by others in the library profession. It is both annoying and distressing.