How so?  I would think that the new 1XX would require the qualifiier.

Gene Fieg

On Tue, Apr 23, 2019 at 8:47 AM Adam L Schiff <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

Since breaking the conflict on the 4XX requires less BFM, I believe that is preferable.

Adam

Adam Schiff

Principal Cataloger

University of Washington Libraries

From: Program for Cooperative Cataloging <[log in to unmask]> on behalf of Benjamin A Abrahamse <[log in to unmask]>
Sent: Tuesday, April 23, 2019 8:12:52 AM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Qualifying a 1xx or a 4xx?

When we are establishing a new NAR and discover that our 1xx conflicts with a 4xx on another record, is it better to add a qualifier to the 1xx on the new NAR, or to add retrospectively a qualifier to the old 4xx? I have a sense that the latter is the preferable solution but I’m not 100 percent certain.

--Ben

Benjamin Abrahamse

Cataloging Coordinator

Acquisitions & Discovery Enhancement