It would be helpful to know as Adam hinted whether adding the qualifier to
the new name would cause it to differ from a body of existing bib heading
usage for the person. If not, if the name being established will require no
retrospective maintenance, then one could argue that

1. There is no conflict yet--the new name is not in the NAF
2. Changing a variant will require two authorities to be distributed
instead of just one.
3. The simpler course of qualifying the new name is no added maintenance
work, and less churn in the NAF, and within bounds for the LC-PCC PSs,which
are about conflicts between existing headings.

On the other hand, if adding the qualifier will require additional bib
maintenance, then change the 400.

Stephen

--
Stephen Hearn, Metadata Strategist