Hi Kate,

I have a vague memory that if an acronym used as a variant name conflicts with a variant on another authority record, it should be qualified.

But that would constitute an exception to “Ignore the conflict that is only between names used as variants” in PS 11.13.1.1.  And no such thing is said under “Initialisms and acronyms” in PS 11.13.1.2.

Certainly a variant like

AMC (American Music Club)

can be found more quickly in a results list than the particular AMC you want.

Is this just a matter of judgment, or is there an RDA rule or PS that I am missing?

Thanks,

Pete Wilson

Vanderbilt University