Note that this addition of qualifiers to variant name acronyms and initialisms is a sign of the shifting purposes of authority records. Originally the 4XX did not stand alone. It was incorporated into an instruction, e.g., "ALA  SEE  American Library Association", which appeared in the cataloger's and the user's index presentation. Typically the disambiguation occurred in that instruction, so it wasn't necessary in the 4XX itself. Referencing multiple 1XX terms from a single acronym in a browse index--a single entry terms followed by multiple choices for redirecting the search--is arguably easier to read and understand than references from a set of differentiated 4XX terms, each referencing a single 1XX.

Now we're seeing the use of 4XXs as part of a cluster of names any one of which might need to be recognizable. If a user retrieves on the 4XX term itself, either as an enrichment to the bib record's indexing or as a term representing the entity without redirection, then the qualifier becomes a valuable addition to the 4XX term.

This shift is part of the evolving use of authority/entity data, not the correction of a careless omission by our predecessors. And it's not without a downside. Browse indexing of acronyms in SEE references will become less efficient. Ultimately, by recording data elements discretely in authority/entity descriptions, we can hope to let machines assemble strings from the available data which will make variant names more recognizable in context without requiring us to differentiate each string with a cataloger-assigned qualifier.

Stephen

On Mon, Apr 29, 2019 at 10:26 AM Wilson, Pete <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

Thanks, Richard.  Combining 11.13.2 and PS 11.13.1.2 does certainly appear to suggest that acronyms in 4xx should be qualified, whether or not it’s needed to distinguish them.

Pete

From: Program for Cooperative Cataloging [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Moore, Richard
Sent: Monday, April 29, 2019 1:53 AM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: [PCCLIST] Qualifying a 1xx or a 4xx?

Pete

LC-PCC-PS for 11.13.1.2 mentions authorized access points, however, RDA 11.3.2 says to “Apply the instructions at 11.13.1.2–11.13.1.8” to variant access points.

Note also the example at PS 11.13.1.2:

110 2#         $a CAST (Group)

410 2#         $a C.A.S.T. (Group)

I’ve now found an email correspondence from 2012 (!) in which we (the BL) asked for the qualifier to be added to the 410 in the above example, to make this very point. It’s best practice to qualify acronyms in 410s as well as 110s.

How we will be able have conversations like this with reference to the 3R Toolkit, with no instruction numbers to refer to, is another question entirely.

Regards

Richard

Richard Moore

Authority Control Team Manager