Dear cohort,

We would like to invite you to join a newly formed LD4P2 Non-Latin Script Materials Affinity Group.

https://wiki.duraspace.org/display/LD4P2/Non-Latin+Script+Materials+Affinity+Group

This group is intended to provide a forum for Sinopia cataloging community that deal with non-Latin scripts. Current PCC practice for cataloging in multiscript environment is to use MARC 21's "Model A" (inclusion of non-Latin script data and transliterated data in Latin script that parallels non-Latin script in bibliographic records). Linked data provides libraries with new opportunities for managing non-Latin script data, as well as present challenges. This affinity group is an effort to explore different models when dealing with vernacular scripts in Sinopia Editor and create a community of practice for cataloging non-Latin script materials in the linked data environment in general, Sinopia in specific.

Scope:

Any non-Latin script but may focus on the ones that most likely to appear in cohort's library collections as listed below:

*         East Asian scripts: Chinese, Japanese, Korean

*         Middle Eastern scripts: Arabic, Persian, Hebrew, etc.

*         Southeast Asian scripts: Thai, etc.

*         South Asian scripts: Devanagari, Tamil, Bengali, etc.

*         European scripts: Cyrillic, Greek, etc.

*         American scripts: Deseret, Cherokee, etc.

 Communication channels:

*         Bi-weekly calls, starting from April 30

*         Slack channel  - https://ld4.slack.com/messages/CHK7C0TAN/

*         Open Google group - https://groups.google.com/forum/#!forum/ld4p2-non-latin-materials

*         Google email list - <https://groups.google.com/d/forum/ld4-wikidata> [log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]>

If you would like to be added to the group, please visit link to request membership:

https://groups.google.com/forum/#!forum/ld4p2-non-latin-materials

We are planning to have conference calls on the 2nd and the 4th Tuesday of the month. The  first meeting is scheduled for April 30, 11-12 (Pacific Time), 1-2 pm (Central Time), 2-3 pm (Eastern Time).

To join: https://ucdlibrary.zoom.us/j/9853745772

Looking forward to our collaboration on this project!

Co-conveners of the group:
Xiaoli Li and Larisa Walsh