Hi John,

I think the 122 MkIII is the one most desired for  transfers. It's the three
head, non reversing version of the series.
It's a two motor beltless design but the otherwise rugged capstan motor's
Surface Mount caps  fail after some years and need to be replaced (about 7
caps).

The head sled design is gear driven but the plastic gears eventually fail.
Hopefully spares for these small gears will still be around for a while.

The pinch roller is rather small in diameter. Again hopefully spares of
these will still be available for some time.

The sandwich head (record and play) is interesting in that the felt pressure
pad bears on the record head and  mostly misses the play head. This is good
for long play head life but the record head eventually develops a  wear
groove from the brutal felt pad.  It will be interesting to see for how much
longer the original sandwich head part can still be obtained.

Like many cassette machines, installing a front panel azimuth adjuster isnt
straightforward.  I designed and fitted a simple direct  adjuster in 2010
using just hand tools but I'm sure a more sophisticated design could be or
has been implemented. The main problem is the lack of room as any direct
adjuster is  close to the function buttons right near the head.

Hope this helps.

Tim Gillett
Perth, Western Australia