Von: "ERIC BYRON" <[log in to unmask]>

> The staff of the Ellis IslandNational Museum of Immigration is considering making
> some changes to several ofour permanent exhibits.  One of thethings we would
> like to do is to incorporate the ambient sound that one wouldhave heard in the
> Registry Room during the time that Ellis Island served as an immigration station.
> If somebody knows where we might find arecording of such sound, it would be
> greatly appreciated.

The chance that such a thing was actually recorded is vanishingly small.  I
think your only option would be to recreate the sound, possibly from existing
sound effects libraries, based on the activities shown in photographs and period
descriptions.  Basically the same process movie studios use to produce
ambient backing sound for films.