I can make a partial answer, not having a Dragon.

When I set the azimuth properly using a scope my Naks, and then bring it into the computer and try RX azimuth on it, I rarely get more than 0.01 sample azimuth correction across a whole side of a tape. It is essential to set the azimuth to the tape, which makes up for the incorrect azimuth on the recording machine.

Having a perfectly aligned playback deck is irrelevant to an old tape that was not “perfect” - that is why azimuth setting is so important!

MY joy at having Nakamickis now is because I have always set the azimuth for playback transfers. but it is just deucedly difficult on some machines, and the more you fiddle with it, the harder it is to have it stay accurate.

And many or most of the cassettes in the 1500 that I am working my way thru were recorded on auto-reverse Marantz PM-510s, so the azimuth canm be different on each side, and different on successive cassettes. Thus it is vital to set it for each and every side of each cassette.

That’s why I love having a front panel knob to adjust and I can leave the tiny Phillips screwdrivers in the shop!
<L>
Lou Judson
Intuitive Audio
415-883-2689