NLS Operations Alert No. 19-34

DATE                    :  May 29, 2019

TO                         :  Network Libraries

FROM                    :  Karen Keninger, Director, NLS

SUBJECT               :  NLS name changes October 1

NLS is pleased to announce that we have received final approval from the Librarian of Congress to change our name. This move will help us address the use of outdated language in our current name and more clearly communicate the breadth of those we serve. Beginning on October 1, our name will change officially to “National Library Service for the Blind and Print Disabled,” though we will continue to be referred to by the abbreviation NLS.

Both NLS and Library of Congress sought input on this change from stakeholder groups and gathered data through various public channels. In keeping with the strategic plan of the LOC, our new name is patron-centric. Visit https://www.loc.gov/strategic-plan/ to learn more about the Library’s “user-centered” goal in the strategic plan.

We have already taken the first steps in our name-change implementation plan to ensure the transition goes smoothly. If you have questions or concerns about the name change, please feel free to contact us. Questions should be directed to your NLS network consultant.

For more information, please contact:

Richard Smith

Chief, Network Division