But, unless there's a record of the holdings that survived the blaze, how can you inventory what is gone? Isn't what people remember seeing or assume must have been there, in a legal sense, just hearsay?

You know, the execs who said right after the fire, "Not to worry, everything exists in another copy," were right, from their perspective. Everything of sufficient profit making potential is still extant, and that's all that matters to the value of the company. The fire might well have been a welcome relief from a pesky, troublesome legacy issue.

What actual obligation did the company have to protect that junk? Don't say moral; that concept is meaningless to a corporation. (Not to all the people in it, of course. Just to the entity itself.)

With all the hue and cry, just when they were shopping the beast, poised to make a killing, they may find it hard to satisfy the artists and estates. Then they'll wish they'd given that archive guy a golden parachute and a NDA.

Sorry if I've stated the obvious.

Carl