Just one quick correction: Dropbox *was* on AWS, they moved to their own
data centers a few years ago.  It's the opposite of what many online
services are doing (moving onto AWS) but they say it allows them to have
better performance, security, reliability and, apparently, actually save
money.

Impressively they go into quite a bit of public technical detail on their
infrastructure.  More than most anyone would want to know if they're not
trying to do the same thing--and a lot more than I've seen AWS or Google do
publicly (though maybe I've missed their reveals)

https://blogs.dropbox.com/tech/2017/06/evolution-of-dropboxs-edge-network/

https://blogs.dropbox.com/tech/2017/09/infrastructure-update-evolution-of-the-dropbox-backbone-network/

https://blogs.dropbox.com/tech/2019/01/the-scalable-fabric-behind-our-growing-data-center-network/