**On behalf of the ALCTS President’s Program Committee**

ALCTS President's Program - featuring Marcia Chatelain, Provost's
Distinguished Associate Professor of History and African American
Studies at Georgetown University

* Monday, June 24, 2019, 10:30 AM-12:00 PM

* Washington Convention Center, Room 146A

Please join us for the annual ALCTS President's Program.  Marcia
Chatelain, Provost's Distinguished Associate Professor of History and
African American Studies at Georgetown University, will be our speaker.
The program will a presentation by Dr. Chatelain presentation, followed
by discussion.

Dr. Chatelain will talk about her forthcoming book, "Franchise: The
Golden Arches in Black America."  In this book, she tells the story of
black capitalists, civil rights leaders, and even radical nationalists
who believed that their destiny rested with a set of golden arches.  She
tells of an industry that blossomed at the very moment a freedom
movement began to wither.  There are few generators of black wealth in
the United States greater than fast food franchising. The days of
black-owned funeral homes, insurance companies, and banks anchoring the
central business district of the once labeled 'colored sections' of
cities are long gone. In their places: McDonalds, KFC, Taco Bell, and
other fast food joints flourish in the now segregated quarters of our
cities, suburbs, and exurbs. We think we know the story of what the
presence and impact of fast food in communities of color means. Poor
people eat too much of it. The jobs it provides pay too little. Children
are too enticed by it. How did we get here? How did fast food outlets
spread across the South Side of Chicago, the central core of Los
Angeles, and the southeastern quadrant of Washington, D.C.? How did a
concept borne in the suburbs become a symbol of urban
deficit-nutritional and economic?  Dr. Chatelain will discuss these
topics and more.

Dr. Chatelain brings a rich background to the topic.  She is:

*An Associate Professor of History and African American Studies at
Georgetown University.

*Writer on African American history, race, inclusive teaching, and food
justice.

*A 2019 Carnegie Fellow. Project Title: First-Generation Future: A
History of First Generation College Students and How to Better Serve
Them Now.

*Author of the chapter, "The Politics of the Drive-Thru Window:
Chicago's Black McDonald's Operators and the Demands of Community" in
"Building the Black Metropolis: African American Entrepreneurship in
Chicago (2017).

*Named a "Top Influencer in Higher Education" by The Chronicle of Higher
Education in 2016.

*Member of the Georgetown University Working Group on Slavery, Memory,
and Reconciliation, convened in 2015.

*Author of the 2015 book, "South Side Girls: Growing Up in the Great
Migration."

*Creator of the collaborative #FergusonSyllabus, a list of resources for
educators that could be used to facilitate discussions about the killing
of Michael Brown in Ferguson, Missouri in 2014. This syllabus has been a
model for similar teaching projects.