I adjunct for Simmons, but speaking for my day-job at Mount Holyoke, we do
captioning for course materials both through the library and through our
Disability Services office.  We share the workload depending on the nature
of the request, eg. whether there is a specific student registered with
them needing immediate accommodation.  Both offices use an external
captioning provider:  https://www.3playmedia.com/    In the library, when
faculty request media for Reserves, they are asked about captioning (e.g.
universal design).

I second (third!) the advice to start with your office of Disability
Services, but just fyi that you might also reach out to the folks who do
media acquisition/etc. in the library.

thanks,

Erin Stalberg
Director of Discovery and Access
Library, Information, and Technology Services
Mount Holyoke College
(and adjunct faculty, Simmons University)

On Tue, Jun 18, 2019 at 8:24 AM Margaret Dull <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> Hi Yan,
>
> I adjunct with the University of Maryland and teach one online course. As I
> had a student in an earlier section of my course request captioning, I
> worked with the University's Accessibility and Disability Services to
> ensure all of my videos (voice over PowerPoint, YouTube, etc.) were
> captioned. The ADS staff are outstanding and were incredibly helpful as I
> updated my course materials. I have kept up this practice of ensuring every
> video I share is captioned ever since. Many of my students have commented
> that they find the captioning makes the videos more accessible to them for
> a variety of reasons. If you haven't already, I encourage you to reach out
> to whichever department on your campus provides this service for students
> to see what they can do to help.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Maggie Dull
>
> Head of Metadata Strategies
> River Campus Libraries
> University of Rochester
>
> On Mon, Jun 17, 2019 at 8:15 PM Yan Ma <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
>
> > Dear Colleagues,
> >
> > Greetings!
> >
> > I have two questions for your input:
> > 1. Do you provide videos for your *online* cataloging course? (For
> example,
> > videos on "How to create a MARC record in OCLC?" "How to use RDA?" etc.
> > 2. If you do, how do you deal with the video captioning for each video?
> > Students can ask for video captioning transcription at anytime.
> >
> > Thank you,
> >
> > --Yan
> >
> > Dr. Yan Ma, Ph.D.
> > Professor of Graduate School of Library & Information Studies
> > Harrington School of Communications and Media
> > University of Rhode Island
> > 94 West Alumni Ave.
> > Kingston, RI 02881 USA
> > Email: [log in to unmask] <[log in to unmask]>
> > Tel: 401-874-2819
> > Fax: 401-874-4964
> > https://harrington.uri.edu/meet/yan-ma/

Erin Stalberg
She/her pronouns
Director of Discovery and Access
Library, Information, and Technology Services
Mount Holyoke College
413.538.2228