Thanks, Adam.  I was not sure whether the online subject proposal system would allow me to see other libraries’ proposals.  I’m glad to hear that will work.

Pete

From: Program for Cooperative Cataloging [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Adam L Schiff
Sent: Wednesday, June 12, 2019 6:09 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: [PCCLIST] What is the quickest accurate way to see if a subject heading coded LCSH on a bib record has been proposed by some library?

If you have access to the online subject proposal system, that is the most current and quick way to see all proposals that are in process, include the ones that have not yet been scheduled for a monthly list.  Short of that, asking someone who does have access would be the only way to know for sure.  The tentative monthly lists (https://classificationweb.net/tentative-subjects/) would, I suppose, be the next best choice, but even the most recent list will not include the most recently made proposals.  For example, today I just input an LCGFT proposal for Mythological television programs.  I will report that proposal to LC today, but the earliest tentative list it could now be scheduled on would be the July 2019 list.  And depending on the timing of submission and workloads at LC, it might not make it onto the July list.  So the only accurate way to know is to query the proposal system directly to see if something is in it.

Adam Schiff

Principal Cataloger

University of Washington Libraries