Thanks to Dave Lewis for noting *popular* music producers.  I don't recall
if the original query specified *classical* producers.

The tasks have always diverged significantly.

There is also no doubt that there were some women who in effect performed
both tasks from the earliest days, who never received due credit.

An old story.

Dave R

On Tue, Jul 2, 2019 at 6:27 AM David Lewis <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> The definition of "producer" is important in this case; a producer can wear
> a lot of hats. Aletha Dickerson was doing A&R and arranging for Paramount
> from 1927 and continued in that role at Bluebird in the 1930s. Bess Berman
> was elevated to label head at Apollo from 1948 but to what extent she was
> involved in producing the records her company released is unclear, Pretty
> involved, it seems; enough that she was named label head rather than her
> husband. But Apollo was based in New York and a lot of their recording was
> done in Chicago. Did she travel, or was there someone on the Chicago end to
> look after the recording? More research needed, though Roberta Freund
> Schwartz would have more insight into Dickerson than I.
>
> Dave Lewis, Virginia
>
> On Tue, Jul 2, 2019 at 3:38 AM Nick Morgan <
> [log in to unmask]> wrote:
>
> > After Mary Howard, contemporary with Wilma Cozart, is Isabella Wallich,
> > Fred
> > Gaisberg's niece:
> >
> > https://www.theguardian.com/news/2001/feb/02/guardianobituaries1
> >
> > Nick