On 7/1/2019 11:43 PM, Jeff Willens wrote:
> Not sure if you wanted to go down this particular road, but still, it is what it is:
>
> A woman in the 1950s owned her own label (with her manager/husband), wrote her own songs, and released her own records complete with distribution deals. Obviously there were others involved but she was seen to be the one controlling it all. She was the "Queen of the Party Records" Ruth Wallis. She ran "Wallis Original" records in NJ, which released her own original, bawdy, risque songs, lots of them, into the 1960s.
>
> http://www.chuckthewriter.com/Wallis.pdf

I'm familiar with Ruth Wallis, and in fact own and enjoy several of her
records. I'm not sure she was quite what most of us think of as a
producer -- someone who produces records for other artists, and/or acts
as a talent-finder for their label. On the other hand she certainly
seems to have hired musicians and devised arrangements, and that's a lot
of what a producer does.

Mary Howard seems to have gotten there first as a producer, though.

Peace,
Paul